Implementing the Dick and Carey Model

 


Implementing the Dick and Carrey Model


           As an educator, I know that having effective organization and planning skills is an essential part of this profession. Without these skills, educators are prone to deliver unsuccessful instruction to their students. Any efficient educator knows that having a well-developed plan when considering your learners and environment will yield successful instructional results. This leads me to reflect on my experience and knowledge of institutional design models. Instructional design can be defined as the practice of creating instructional experiences to help facilitate learning most effectively (Kurt, 2018). These models are vital because they ensure that students receive instruction in a form that is effective and meaningful to them. This will lead to a better understanding of the concepts and topics they are being taught. By using a model as a guide for instruction, educators are organizing a learning plan for their students. After assessing many models, I would say that the Dick and Carey Model will work best for me as an educator and most importantly for my students in my educational setting.

Identifying Instructional Goals

        For educators, it begins with the first step of identifying instructional goals. This is the beginning phase of organizing and planning your instruction design, here you need to identify an overall goal your students will be able to achieve after all instruction has been given. Following this model, I would determine the actual status of students as to what they need to learn. The actual status is where the learners are before the course, and the need is the gap between where the learners are presently and where they are to be at the end of instruction (D’Angelo, Bunch, & Thoron,2018).  For example, if the instructional goal is for my students to identify place value forms in the ones, tens, and hundreds, then I can analyze what kind of instructional steps I would have to plan for in order to achieve this.

Conduct Instructional Analysis 

        The instructional analysis is the second step. This means you are determining the skills that your students will need to learn what you plan to teach them (Kurt, 2018). After establishing the instructional goal,  I would conduct an instructional analysis where I can formulate the steps needed to achieve the overall goal. I will determine the skills my students need to learn about what I plan to teach them. So continuing with my example about their place value goal, I need to analyze what place value skills they need to acquire in order to achieve successful learning about the ones, tens, and hundreds place.

Entry Behaviors and Learner Characteristics

The third step in this model is to the learner's characteristics and entry behaviors. As an educator, this is why I feel this model will be one of the most effective for me and my students because it focuses on what the learner is and has before instruction begins. When determining the learners and the context in which the learning will take place, it is important to refer to the target population (D’Angelo, Bunch, & Thoron,2018). At this stage, you assess what skills the students already have which you can build upon. You also must consider learner characteristics such as learner abilities, group dynamics, academic motivation, and preferences. These are crucial things to consider when planning design instruction because they can affect their instruction positively or negatively. For example, my classroom has a range of dynamics such as special education, ELL learners, solely Spanish speakers, and so on. When planning my instruction I think at this stage that the Dick and Carey model can be meaningful to us rather than some other models that do not explicitly state this step.

Performance Objectives 

The next step in this model would be creating the performance objectives. The difference between goals is that those are the outcomes you intend to achieve, whereas objectives are the specific actions and measurable steps that you need to take to achieve a goal. Going back to my example of my goal being for students to learn place value ones, tens, and hundreds, then my objective will be clear, precise skills my students will need to learn to successfully learn place value as a whole. My students' objectives can be to specifically identify each place value in word form, standard form, expanded form, sketch representations, base ten blocks, and so on. These are precise skills my students must learn as part of their objectives in order to leave the overall concept of place value. Considering the varying dynamics in my classroom, this is where I differentiate to meet the needs of my students because not all students can achieve the same objective at varying levels.

Criterion-Referenced Test 

The next step is administering a criterion-referenced test to your students. This will help the teacher be able to determine how a student does in an assessment task that is based on standards and criteria for their grade level or age. Referring back to the notes you have made will help you figure out what to test. These are meant to help the students understand what they have or have not mastered yet, and are a checkpoint (Kurt, 2018). This is an important step for me as the teacher to have a starting point for each of my student's abilities individually, to which to consider prior knowledge and build upon their new goals and objectives.

Instructional Strategy and Materials 

The next two steps would be developing an instructional strategy and selecting effective materials. When considering the instructional strategies for a unit of instruction, there are a few things to consider, such as the goal, the learner motivation and characteristics, the learning objectives, assessment requirements, and the performance context (D’Angelo, Bunch, & Thoron,2018). This is where you begin to outline your lesson plan. This means that you will plan to demonstrate what you want them to learn, add activities, and decide how each part of your lesson will flow. A crucial part of the strategy is selecting appropriate materials that support your lesson and instruction. For my classroom, this takes much planning and strategy because I teach in both English and Spanish, so I need to match varying materials and support all the needs of my students.

Develop and Conduct Formative and Summative Assessments 

After the instruction has been given to your students and you have followed your lesson plan focused on objectives and the goal, you would have to evaluate how the lesson went. Formative evaluation should be conducted within the instruction, and happening as instruction is taking place and soon right after that lesson. There are many types of formative assessments such as observations, discussions, quizzes, etc. Once construction has been given as a whole, there must now be a summative assessment, which is given after all objectives of instruction have been given and the student's overall performance will be measured. Summative evaluation measures an entire unit of instruction and multiple performance objectives. When developing the summative evaluation, it is important that the objectives match the summative evaluation (D’Angelo, Bunch, & Thoron,2018).


Revise Instruction

The final step, which in my experience as an educator should be ongoing throughout phases of instruction, is to revise. Revising instruction is a vital part of this model that I know is always beneficial to my students because it causes me to reflect on what parts of the lesson worked and didn't work. I ponder about my student's successes and struggles to design better instruction. It allows me to take the time and differentiate their needs even more so. Adjusting and revising instruction is necessary for your students in order for them to achieve the overall goal and mastery of all objectives.



References 

D’Angelo, T., Bunch, J. C., & Thoron, A. C. (2018). Instructional Design Using the Dick & Carey Systems Approach. EDIS, 2018(2). https://doi.org/10.32473/edis-wc294-2018 



Kurt, S. (2018, May 12). Instructional design models and theories. Educational Technology. https://educationaltechnology.net/instructional-design-models-and-theories/ 



Food for thought...



Comments