UDL to Improve Student Engagement

 




UDL to Improve Student Engagement     

 

        As the digital age came about with more force than ever, there has been a total shift in education as traditional methods evolved to incorporate technology integration in classrooms. This shift has led to a more engaging environment for students. I have been an educator for nine years and when I stop to reflect on how educational technology has evolved and progressed since I began teaching, it astounds me how far we have come in advances. It is gratifying to have witnessed and participated in this shift. From the time I was school-aged myself when computers were something students used only in a computer lab a day or two a week and for record keeping or secretarial work. Fast forward to now, where computers and various technological devices are relied on in classrooms on a daily basis for teaching and learning. It has changed the classroom environment and dynamics forever. Students are now more actively engaged through the use of technology and are having fun learning. Today’s students, who have grown up with iPads and YouTube, seamlessly use technology at home and in the classroom to bring learning to life (Winters-Robinson, 2019). Students can now be in control of their inquiry learning experience as the teacher becomes more of a facilitator to them as they guide them in this journey using technology as a tool. 




Universal Design for Learning (UDL)


Universal Design for learning (UDL) is an approach to teaching that is aimed at meeting the needs of every student in a classroom. This method is effective for all types of learners, but requries careful planning by teachers to ensure its efficiency. It is a proactive approach that supports planning for every learner. As a design framework to accommodate diverse learner needs, Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is an approach in which designers of instruction proactively differentiate as part of the planning process for an instructional experience, rather than designing for an average learner and later having to make accommodations for specific learners who inevitably experience barriers during implementation due to their not fitting that profile. UDL involves building flexibility into course design in the ways that learners engage, receive content, and express their learning (Gronseth & Hutchins, 2019). It is composed of three main principles:  providing multiple means of engagement, providing multiple means of representation, and providing multiple means of action and expression.




 

UDL and Technology Integration

    

It is crucial for teachers to implement the UDL approach when planning lessons for their students in order for them to be the most successful in their learning individualized learning journey. This is something that I have been always been a big advocate for during my years as a teacher.  My focus in my classroom is to differentiate to meet the needs of all my students. I feel like as my years of experience grew, I slowly gained the awareness and knowledge to integrate technology that I saw best fit my student's needs. To be honest, before my current journey to further my education and gain my Master's Degree, I was not aware that this method was called the Universal Design for Learning. It now puts a name to my method and goal when planning to incorporate different technologies for my diverse students so they can be successful in their individual way. At the beginning of my teaching journey, I feel I was learning more so how to use the technology and it was more teacher-directed, and as the years went on I slowly relinquished my control to my students as I saw the more actively engaged they are on their own, the more successful learning is taking place as they demonstrate their mastery using different modalities. The idea is for students to have multiple means of engaging in assignments and activities that interest them while satisfying their personal and professional needs for learning about communications, as well as meeting the course objectives. (Morra & Reynolds, 2010).

Leveraging Technology


    In my classroom, I utilize various forms of technologies that I see fit the learning needs of my students. When planning my lessons, I not only focus on the acquiring knowledge factor but more so on the synthesizing of information and creation part. When my students are more in control of their learning, they are having fun and feel accountable and accomplished.  I encourage my students to use different modalities that allow them to showcase their learning and success. I differentiate learning by using various technologies. For example, my two main online platforms are what is Google Classroom and Clever. Google Classroom is an all-in-one online place where students and teachers can collaborate in learning together. It provides the online opportunity to manage, measure, and enrich learning experiences. This is where my classroom organizes online assignments, digital presentations, projects, resources, and much more. Clever is an online platform that my district shifted to a few years ago pre-COVID, which made a world difference once COVID hit. It is basically a single- log-in page/ profile created by the district for each student and teacher to have access to online resources. It is liked by teachers to each student, so they have easy and constant access to everything needed online in a one-stop shop for all online resources. It is very useful and beneficial as I feel it was the catalyst for change in my district for technology integration. It it here on Clever that I am able to organize and leverage various forms of technology into my student's learning. I pick and choose different apps that allow me to easily differentiate the needs of my students. For example, I use many gamification apps such as Kahoot, Quizizz, and Quizlet. My students enjoy various learning experiences as they feel like they are playing a game while being accountable for their knowledge. Utilizing Google Classroom, I am able to push these “games” to my students at their current level while differentiating instead of the one-size fits all method. This is especially helpful for my kids in special programs and my bilingual students. I can find what best works for them to be successful. Another way I leverage technology is by utilizing online collaboration environments such as White. board.fi, Jamboard, Book Creator, and Padlet. This is where my students can work together in project-based assignments to create and publish or simply show their mastery of knowledge. My students enjoy interacting in online environments while they learn, so I find this as one of the most ways I integrate technology into my classroom. 


            All in all, it is critical for teachers to uphold the universal design for learning, as no two learners are alike and it is our job to differentiate instruction to meet their needs. The traditional methods of the past where the one size fits all, are not successful with the learners of today. The students of today were born into the digital age where technology is a constant tool we must utilize. In my classroom, I assure I utilize various forms of technology to meet the needs of my diverse students. I am aware that one technology app or tool may not work for some of my students, but for others it can be successful, and this is where the UDL will support all the needs of learners as individuals. Teachers must ask themselves vital questions when planning for engagement such as:


Will this be an app my students will understand how to use?

Can they be successful on their own while using it?

Does it have the ability to differentiate learning?

Will my students be accountable for their learning process?

Can they create and publish when using it?

Does it foster an online collaborative environment? 


 


 

A Closer Look into UDL...





Useful Online Resources

Google Classroom- an interactive online classroom that fosters collaboration between teachers, students, and peers. It serves as an online platform for creating an organized way to send and receive lessons, assignments, projects, and resources. 


Quizizz- similar to Kahoot as an interactive gamification program but more as a game quiz format as it provides the student and teachers with actual quiz grades.  Quizzes can be premade or teacher created.

 Jamboard- an interactive live online board or slides that allow teachers and students to actively collaborate on the same network to create projects or show learning simultaneously.

 
Clever It is a single- log-in page/ profile created by the district for each student and teacher to have access to online resources. It is liked by teachers to each student, so they have easy and constant access to everything needed online in a one-stop shop for all online resources.

References


Gronseth, S. &  Hutchins, H. (2019). Flexibility in Formal Workplace Learning: Technology Applications for Engagement through the Lens of Universal Design for Learning

            Association for Educational Communications & Technology.



Morra, T. & Reynolds, J. (2010). Universal Design for Learning:Application for Technology-Enhanced Learning. The Journal of the Virginia Community Colleges.  Inquiry, v15 n1 p43-51 2010.


Gronseth, S. &  Hutchins, H. (2019). Flexibility in Formal Workplace Learning: Technology Applications for Engagement through the Lens of Universal Design for Learning

            Association for Educational Communications & Technology. 


Comments